every one can be heard

Jane Ammon

Those Clothes That She Came To Us In

January 21, 2013

chinese adoption

It’s been 5 years since she came to us in those clothes.

Every time I pull them out of her memory box their musky smell, like a wave, summons me back to that night.

That night…when they handed her to me and I could feel in her tiny stiff body,  even through all of those layers,

her fear, her awareness of the betrayal…her mistrust

To later that night, as I peeled away each layer of clothing…

How she watched me through the tears pooled up in the corner of her eyes, her lips trembling, her body rigid.

Her whimpers soft.

To that moment a few hours later, as I held her now fragile, limp, body in my arms,

while she drank her sippy cup of hot tea

when I looked deep into her eyes…

I saw a glimmer of the one thing I had been hoping and praying for since

I had laid eyes on her picture six months before…

Trust.

filed in:

Comments

1. Keith

January 21st, 2013 at 6:17 am

So beautifully said. You are such a lovely and deserving person. It wonderful that you were the perfect gift to her. The photograph kicks a$# too!

2. mary haumacher

January 21st, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Beautiful words Jane. Made me cry.

3. Stacey Kiernan

January 21st, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Love it 🙂 God Bless your family.

4. Audrey Michel

January 21st, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Jane, this is just beautiful. I have goosebumps.

5. angie piskorski

January 22nd, 2013 at 1:25 am

What a wonderful tribute to her humble beginnings. How lucky she will be to one day read this and understand how her universe shifted that day to put her on the path of this amazing journey she is currently on in your home with your family…or actually make that HER HOME AND HER FAMILY!

6. Tammy Snyder

January 22nd, 2013 at 1:33 am

Love every word of this love story. And I really love the picture–everything is so right about it.

7. johanna

February 6th, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I often look at the clothes my sweet girl came in and they feel both so known, and unknown. THey represent both sadness and joy….they tell such a story. Half of the story I know, the other half…I know nothing of. That hurts. But, yet the clothes represent God’s story of redemption. Redeeming HIS daughter and giving her a new clothes, new life….a new beginning.
    I love your photo, I felt every word that was written with it.

8. Amy

January 10th, 2014 at 3:10 am

Wow Jane, reading this took my breath away. From one strong mother to another:)

9. Tim Halberg